Day two in Orlando: Yeah, I had a car accident

Day two I woke up tired. Jet lag had set in, and instead of waking up at the usual 6.30am, I was wide awake at 5am. Maybe it wasn’t the best start?

The sat nav had stopped working, and so I followed written out directions. I felt fine, cruising in my beast of a car along the highway. I was doing ok following the directions, despite being so aware I was driving alone, on the wrong side of the road, in a giant city, on giant roads, and in a giant car.

I pulled out on my last direction, nearly there, and in almost an instant I saw another car coming at me. I’d made a mistake, and now a decidedly smaller car was heading straight for me and my giant car.

I saw it all happening so slowly. The car, me in my car, the smashing of metal, spinning, and the car finding it’s place in the road, on it’s side. And me still strapped in in my seat, trapped inside the car. You may remember this car (the one of it’s side, not the cop car) from yesterday’s post.

Car accident 1

All I can remember thinking is, ‘How is this happening to me?’, ‘Is this happening to me?’, and ‘Why is this happening to me?’. While I was so aware of what was happening, it also felt so dreamlike that I couldn’t believe it was real.

I can’t remember if I closed my eyes, but I knew where I was. I was in Orlando, stuck in huge car, with giant bubbly airbags either side of me. I had my phone, I grabbed it and held onto it.

Suddenly, I was surrounded by people feeding me instructions through the glass. Asking if I could open the door to get out. I remember thinking, ‘Don’t move too quickly, you might rock the car and make this unbelievable situation worse.’

I couldn’t get out. The doors wouldn’t open, and as I tried to feed this back to my helpers and spectators, I started to panic. I was unable to catch my breath and started to hyperventilate.

Luckily, a man climbed on top of the car and managed to open the passenger door, through which I was pulled out and helped onto the road.

I glanced back at the car to see the wreck with some physical perspective. People were taking pictures, asking what had happened, it was overwhelming to say the very least.


The rest of the day consisted of lovely people coming to my rescue, including the fire department, the state tropper, Stephen, the lovely Amanda and Amy, and the incredible doctors and nurses at Dr. P Phillips hospital, one of which was in a band supporting a band called Wolfface – an act that write songs about being a wolf (inspired and based on the movie Teen Wolf), genius.


An X-ray, thorough check, and about a million insurance calls (at more than a pound a minute, the cost of being in the US) later, the wonderful Amy dropped us back at our safe and cosy apartment to contemplate day two, and the extraordinary events that took place.

I am fine, the other lady is also fine (thank god), and we got through it together. It was another new experience, dreadful one but certainly a new one.

Please no more day three. Here’s to an incident-free day!